Things That Make You Go, Hmmmm....

I can think better when my feet can breathe!!

~Kyllian


Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's a new year...

...school year that is!

We are not changing from our ultra relaxed style but I do have a few things that we will work through as the year progresses.

Math - The boys are working through some Spectrum books just to solidify the skills they are picking up as they go along. Drake will start the Life of Fred series as soon as he gets long division!

Reading - Drake has just begun reading Harry Potter so that should keep him busy for a while. Who knows what Kyllian will pick up. I am hoping to get him reading some fiction this year but I am afraid he takes after me and doesn't care for much fiction!

Writing - I am starting Kyllian working through some Spectrum books for writing. Mainly because the kid's never puts pen to paper. Drake does all sorts of writing at the moment. I may start him on a research project after the first of the year depending on what he is interested in at the time.

Art - We will work through Artistic Pursuits (famous last words) this year. I may try to set up a mini co-op with a couple of families (anyone interested?).

Music - You know us. There is no shortage of music around here.

Science and Social Studies - We are doing the Florida Fun Literature Unit Study this year which has a science and social studies component. The SS component looks pretty strong but the science is a little candy coated so we will expand on that for sure as the need and desire arises. I am also planning 4 big field trips to go along with this program. Should be tons of fun!

No comments: