Things That Make You Go, Hmmmm....

I can think better when my feet can breathe!!

~Kyllian


Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tangerine Honey Wine Experiment

What do you do when you don't have enough tangerines to make a batch of wine and you are too poor to buy honey to make a batch of mead?? You combine the two and make a tangerine honey wine.

I stared with 6 lbs of honey, 3 lbs of sugar and just shy of 2 and 1/2 gallons of fresh squeezed tangerine juice. I took the zest from 8 of the larger and sweeter tangerings and threw it all together in a carboy. Topped it off with water and pitched my ole stand by, Cuvee yeast. This was on Friday the 29th. By Saturday I was wiping tangerine pulp off the walls from 4 or 5 separte blow offs. Needless to say the yeast was happy. It has continued to ferment hard since then and today the gravity had dropped from 1090 to 1016. It is still quite sweet but I threw in some potassium sorbate today to stop the fermentation. Once it clears up a little I will rack it to a secondary and throw in a healthy dose of mulling spices.

This should make for a nice fall/winter drink. That's the plan at least!!!

No comments: